George S. Nixon's First National Bank

46. First National Bank

352 S Bridge Street


Known as the bank Butch Cassidy may have robbed on September 9, 1900, this two-story structure bears no resemblance to its original one-story form, which was built in 1886, by George Nixon who went on to become a Senator. It was fortunate to survive the 1891 Fire and it was the only national bank in the state until November 1903. The building underwent extensive remodeling in 1915, by architect Frederick DeLongchamps, who added the second story and moved the entrance to face the corner of Fourth and Bridge. Many professionals such as doctors, lawyers, and dentists occupied the upper story’s rooms over the years. After the First National Bank relocated, this structure housed The Humboldt Star Newspaper office. More recently, it has been an insurance office and currently is a tax office.  

Read More