Hubbard House

Hubbard House

534 Bridge Street


The Hubbard House was built in 1912 by Lorenzo Dave Hubbard, a local mining assessor and analyst. In July 1912, the local newspapers reported the stone foundation work was done by local mason D. Grassi, and named Bert Messick as the contractor for the 10-room house. The wooden framed house is a classically-detailed Foursquare, a rare building type in Nevada. It is unknown when the wooden building was covered in stucco.


Lorenzo Dave Hubbard was born in New York in 1862 and moved to Mill City, Nevada around 1897, to work in mining assaying. In 1903, he married Myrtle Organ, daughter of Peter Organ who was a prominent merchant in Mill City. When Mill City began to decline, the Hubbards moved to Winnemucca. Mr. Hubbard operated his assaying office out of a structure in his back yard. (See the 1912 map in the photo gallery) He also spent a lot of time working up in the National Mining District. Mr. Hubbard continued working as a mining assayer until his death in 1922.


Over the years, the house served primarily as a residence, but has also been known as Scissors Palace, when Curtis and Judith Vice owned the home and most recently as Winnemucca Fine Arts Gallery, while under ownership of Humboldt County. Humboldt County purchased the property from the Vices in 1989. Throughout the 1990's and early 2000's, the house served not only as a gallery, but also as a meeting place for local art and civic minded groups.

Read More