Nixon Opera House (site)

36. Nixon Opera House (site)

50 W. Winnemucca Blvd.


Nixon Opera House was built in 1907 and was a donation to Winnemucca by Senator George Nixon. The Nixon served the community as a performing arts center, an art gallery, and was even home to Winnemucca City Hall. For several decades, there was a large swimming pool behind the opera house. It truly was the center of town.   


Friends of the Nixon, a community grass-roots effort to sustain the Nixon, formed and by 1992 had secured funds to retro-fit the building for earthquakes and to perform general maintenance. Unfortunately, the Nixon was destroyed by arson fire July 1992, before the work could begin. The arsonist(s) were never caught.  


Today, the site of Nixon Opera House is known as Nixon Lawn. Nixon Lawn is utilized for many community events throughout the year.   

Read More