Toggery/Hooft's Bakery

30. Toggery/Hooft's Bakery (French Twist)

227 S. Bridge Street


In 1910, J.A. Loinaz purchased the property and operated The Toggery, a men's clothing store for several years. In 1936, Noel Anchart's City Bakery, previously located across the street, began operating out of this building. Then, in 1946, owners of another bakery in Winnemucca, Bill and Toni Hooft, purchased City Bakery. The Hoofts immediately began to remodel and expand the building. They replaced the brick ovens with electric and brought in new top of the line equipment. In 1958, Willie Hooft, Bill's son, took over the business and renamed it Hooft's Bakery. Hooft's Bakery was in operation until 1998.  


Today, the building houses La French Twist, a beauty salon. However, a few of the bakery's remnants are still inside. Like one of the large electric ovens now occupied by a salon station and the many stacks of baking pans in the basement. 

Read More